Saturday, April 30, 2005

National teams with players who play in Sweden

While looking at "the power rankings" I dug a little deeper to see which players played where this year. I knew that the Finnish team for example would have players who played this season in Sweden but I was surprised to find so many Canadians who played in Sweden this year. Morrison was in Linköping, and Turco was in Stockholm for a while. The overall list is below.

Ranking Number of players who played in Sweden 2004 - 05
-----------------------------------------------------------
1. Canada   5
2. Czech Rep.  1
3. USA   1
4. Slovakia   1
5. Sweden   20
6. Finland   3
7. Russia   0
8. Switzerland  2
9. Germany   0
10.Austria   0

The rankings are taken from the International Ice Hockey Federation, and I am not sure they are very accurate. There is no way the Russians are the seventh best team in the world, they are much better than that. I doubt that USA and Slovakia are both better than Sweden, but of course, all of this will be settled on the ice. For fun, here is my top ten;

1. Canada
2. Czech Rep.
3. Russia
4. Sweden
5. USA
6. Slovakia
7. Finland
8. Switzerland
9. Austria
10.Germany